Monday, June 20, 2011

Yoga Skirt Surprise!

A few weeks ago I enrolled in a Sewing with Knits E-Course in an effort to overcome my life long trepidation about sewing stretchy fabrics.  The single best thing about the class is that it simply required me to sit down at the machine to practice sewing knits, and just doing that helped me discover there was really no reason to be so intimidated. 

I skipped a few of the projects that didn't hold any interest for me (hairbands, baby blanket, spaghetti-strap tank top) and focused on the tee shirt, as well as several knit garments (dresses, nightgowns, tank tops) that were not part of the curriculum.  Since the class is winding up tomorrow I decided to give the lounge pants (no pics of those yet) and yoga skirt projects a somewhat unenthusiastic try.  It turns out that I like the lounge pants quite a bit in spite of the fact that I'm not really a big fan of knit pants --- we'll call those pajama bottoms and make a matching top tomorrow :D. 

The unexpected pleasant surprise of my last minute garment sewing was the yoga skirt!  Wow, do I ever like this skirt --- super duper easy and quick to make!  It was finished in less than an hour (including cutting out time) even though I dawdled a bit over details.  I fully expected to dislike it and was already mentally presenting it to my niece when I tried it on.   Hah, she's out of luck since I love it!  It is so comfy / cool to wear and I'm sure that I'll be wearing it a lot in the coming warm weather months.  I used about a yard of medium weight cotton lycra jersey (that had been languishing in my fabric stash for nearly 2 decades) to make the skirt.  I'll definitely be on the lookout for fabric to make a couple more of these.  If you want to make one for yourself, here's the super simple instructions for doing so:  yoga skirt

 

 A sort of close view of the skirt --- see the wide fold-over waistband?  Super comfy!


My photographer was a pretty funny guy today --- hence the cracking up LOL!  The salmon orangey-pink tee is a rather unfortunate choice and is certainly not a good color on me, yuck!


Check out the clogs!  They are sooooooo comfortable, love them!  The happy result of some random 6pm.com shopping and a steal at $20 when on sale a couple weeks ago!   They're still available for just a few dollars more, highly recommended by moi!  Marvy Clogs

9 comments:

  1. Oh, that skirt looks like something I could actually make! Really cute and I bet the pants are comfy. Looks great and I love the clogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute skirt Ginny! I think I'll have to make one for myself. And love the clogs, especially seeing them on. I would totally pass them by on the website.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So darling!!! Love it Ginny:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are so cute in the skirt!!! way to go girl!this is Kim btw ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute skirt and I loooove the laughing pic. Nice stems too!;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ginny, Love your blog. I'm commenting here because most recent post, but found you by your pottery photos on flickr'. I'm very inspired by your work. Love your studio, very neat. Continue doing your beautiful work, in all medias. Be happy. Denise

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute skirt! I can totally relate to the knit fabric phobia.

    ReplyDelete